Has it ever happened to you.. ?? Out of no where you miss something that was once too much.. too obvious.. and too present to miss..??
So while I was tossing and turning on the bed last night.. I was hearing a light tapping on my bedroom window.. I could hear the heavy wind making a roaring sound.. the light tapping was the rain drops..!!! This very thing was something that made me so happy growing up .. as heavy rains meant there’s no school tomorrow… !! (something like a snow day here) …I go to bed with a smile on my face.. 😀
Now where I live rain is not so common.. rarely you hear the raindrops and the wind somehow is of the abundance….Sometimes the small car I drive really feels this wind.. meaning I can’t really go light on the steering wheel without wind trying to blow away my car along with me in it.. ok now that’s too much of an exaggeration… But the point is wind is often heavy.. but the light rain that wash away the weary of long lasting hot summer days or almost ending cold winters.. is a rare occurrence .. !!
Last night with the calming sound of the raindrops .. I was half way down the memory lane until I don’t remember anymore.. I must have fallen asleep… !
I started my school on a rainy day.. I was happy to wear my new rain coat that my dad got me for the first day of school.. other kids had umbrellas .. I liked how I was the only one in a rain coat so bright and yellow.. !! Although school has always given me chills even before I stepped foot in there.. the walk to school was always a fun one.. !! We were careful to ignore the puddles..and so quick to go to the side when a car passed through splashing all of us.. the fact that our school uniform was white .. didn’t help at all.. on a rainy day..!!
Some how the school sports meet was always on the hottest months of the year.. February..!! We only wished for rain which never came.. as for hours we were out in the burning sun for various sports events.. !! Although the first poem I ever learned for English was “Rain Rain Go Away” this didn’t really make much sense on these sports days.. !! ..
Some how my memories, my life back home was so connected with rain.. now hearing the mere sound of rain drops alone gives me teary eyes with a gutt wrenching feeling of nostalgia.. Ohh the good old days..!!
I miss the rain..!!
When you think about it.. everyone LIKES to eat good food, explore different countries, watch a good movie or listen to a good song… but what makes YOU stand out from the rest US are those small things you enjoy even without knowing you enjoy the presence of it.. the kind you only realize when you see it gone..
As a kid I grew up in a busy town.. I remember the commute to school in the morning traffic.. I used to hate it.. but now I miss it.. now I live in a place with less traffic.. driving to work is smooth with only minor traffic… Well you must think I’m crazy to miss the traffic.. but read on.. maybe you’ll see why..
Those days on the way to school.. (then to work for a short while) in a crammed up bus.. frustrated at the traffic and annoyed at the people who set up morning classes.. I still enjoyed the silent conversations I had with people on the bus.. all had a different story to tell in the way they wore .. the way they talked and the ways they acted to a similar incident..
You see the same people on the bus.. every morning.. when someone who usually shows up at a certain bus stop doesn’t show up that day .. you wonder if they got up late.. or not working today.. or maybe even took the early bus to work.. and you feel relieved on behalf of them, when they run and catch the bus at the last minute sometimes… These were *the regulars*
I have never been a morning person.. so talking to people in the morning is the last thing I would want to do ..
but I knew quite a bit about *the regulars*…the bits and pieces I put together over the l.5 hour long bus ride I used to do every morning ..for years.. until I finally saved up to buy my own car.. .
- The buddy ( she gets on the bus two stops after me.. and gets off at the same bus stop and take the same connected bus ..I never knew where she got off … cz I used to get off before her.. she works in the high tech industry.. the fashion sense said it all .. even before I heard her talking to the dentist about it once.. but she was friendly always smiled… on some sleepy mornings that I completely lose track of time.. having her on the busy meant I didn’t miss the next stop.. or the next bus.. and I’m on the right bus..the perfect buddy system)
- The dentist.. (she can never stop smiling.. and for an avid coffee drinker she had nice teeth… although I never knew if she was a real dentist.. I thought she has to be one to maintain that kind of teeth *for her age… then one day I heard her tell the buddy that she is a dental hygienist.. not a bad guess… !! after all .. but of course..I kept calling her the dentist)
- The pretty boy.. (good looking when u see from far.. average when close by.. probably into sports.. he graduated recently and works for the gov. …. the shirts were carefully ironed and probably put together the day before … obviously too pretty for a gov. job..)
- The schooler.. (only met him after I started working.. schooler was exactly me few months back.. went to the same university as me.. the same bus route.. I was relieved I was not on the same boat as him anymore.. I dont miss the morning classes at all.. !!)
- The know it all… (OMG.. !! don’t want him sitting anywhere close by.. he knows it all.. annoying as hell.. but from what I figured.. he used to have an important job in the gov. mostly into the financial side.. now retired.. probably a widower.. now working at a small company… as a consultant… he was an expert at everything.. damn he talks too much.. )
The list goes on.. so I miss these people.. often on the way to work now.. I check the bus stops every once in a while to spot some of *the regulars*… and I wonder what was I for those people.. and how they would name me..
PS: I would love to know what my blog readers think about this post.. your comments are greatly appreciated.. 🙂