It was one of those days .. After work I was really tired and my knee was killing me… Everything seemed a bit irritating and I was getting impatient.. the fact that I was stuck in a doctor’s clinic waiting room did anything but improve my mood. I tried reading the boring pamphlets but the long paragraphs felt like blobs of blahh….. As minutes turned to an hour I was starting to lose it.. I didn’t hear the usual voice in the back of my head telling me to calm down..!!
So… I got up and walked towards the receptionist…. just wanting to vent it out.. Then bam…..!!! This was up on the wall by the reception….. So I smiled at her instead…and said “looks like it’s a busy day ” !! She smiled back and said “you are the next one in line” 🙂
I’m glad I didn’t say anything.. It turned out not so bad after all..!!
Some times all you need is that one word or the friendly smile to get a break from your usual day today struggles..This did it for me (so yeah I did take a photo when the receptionist wasn’t looking :P).. Hope it will help someone else too.. !! Sometimes doing less does more than it seems.
When you think about it.. everyone LIKES to eat good food, explore different countries, watch a good movie or listen to a good song… but what makes YOU stand out from the rest US are those small things you enjoy even without knowing you enjoy the presence of it.. the kind you only realize when you see it gone..
As a kid I grew up in a busy town.. I remember the commute to school in the morning traffic.. I used to hate it.. but now I miss it.. now I live in a place with less traffic.. driving to work is smooth with only minor traffic… Well you must think I’m crazy to miss the traffic.. but read on.. maybe you’ll see why..
Those days on the way to school.. (then to work for a short while) in a crammed up bus.. frustrated at the traffic and annoyed at the people who set up morning classes.. I still enjoyed the silent conversations I had with people on the bus.. all had a different story to tell in the way they wore .. the way they talked and the ways they acted to a similar incident..
You see the same people on the bus.. every morning.. when someone who usually shows up at a certain bus stop doesn’t show up that day .. you wonder if they got up late.. or not working today.. or maybe even took the early bus to work.. and you feel relieved on behalf of them, when they run and catch the bus at the last minute sometimes… These were *the regulars*
I have never been a morning person.. so talking to people in the morning is the last thing I would want to do ..
but I knew quite a bit about *the regulars*…the bits and pieces I put together over the l.5 hour long bus ride I used to do every morning ..for years.. until I finally saved up to buy my own car.. .
- The buddy ( she gets on the bus two stops after me.. and gets off at the same bus stop and take the same connected bus ..I never knew where she got off … cz I used to get off before her.. she works in the high tech industry.. the fashion sense said it all .. even before I heard her talking to the dentist about it once.. but she was friendly always smiled… on some sleepy mornings that I completely lose track of time.. having her on the busy meant I didn’t miss the next stop.. or the next bus.. and I’m on the right bus..the perfect buddy system)
- The dentist.. (she can never stop smiling.. and for an avid coffee drinker she had nice teeth… although I never knew if she was a real dentist.. I thought she has to be one to maintain that kind of teeth *for her age… then one day I heard her tell the buddy that she is a dental hygienist.. not a bad guess… !! after all .. but of course..I kept calling her the dentist)
- The pretty boy.. (good looking when u see from far.. average when close by.. probably into sports.. he graduated recently and works for the gov. …. the shirts were carefully ironed and probably put together the day before … obviously too pretty for a gov. job..)
- The schooler.. (only met him after I started working.. schooler was exactly me few months back.. went to the same university as me.. the same bus route.. I was relieved I was not on the same boat as him anymore.. I dont miss the morning classes at all.. !!)
- The know it all… (OMG.. !! don’t want him sitting anywhere close by.. he knows it all.. annoying as hell.. but from what I figured.. he used to have an important job in the gov. mostly into the financial side.. now retired.. probably a widower.. now working at a small company… as a consultant… he was an expert at everything.. damn he talks too much.. )
The list goes on.. so I miss these people.. often on the way to work now.. I check the bus stops every once in a while to spot some of *the regulars*… and I wonder what was I for those people.. and how they would name me..
PS: I would love to know what my blog readers think about this post.. your comments are greatly appreciated.. 🙂